The Kalevala, Finland's national epic, was compiled by Elias Lönnrot from oral poetry that he collected in the early 19th century. While many written translations of the Kalevala are available, listening to the Kalevala is a great way to experience this collection of folklore, which was traditionally spoken. On this disc, the second in a series, Professor Börje Vähämäki reads runos 4-9 of Eino Friberg's celebrated English translation of the Kalevala, then recites and sings the beginning of runo 4 in the original Finnish. Whether you're an audiobook fan or just wondering how to pronounce those Finnish names, this disc is a great way to experience this important Finnish work!
1. Runo 3: The Contention, Ending Lines 447-580
2. Runo 4: Aino
3. Runo 5: Aino Caught and Lost
4. Runo 6: Joukahainen's Revenge
5. Runo 7: Väinämöinen's Promise
1. Runo 8: Väinämöinen's Wound
2. Runo 9: The Healing of Väinämöinen
3. Runo 4, Lines 1-62, Recited and Sung in Finnish
Runos 1-3 of the Kalevala are available on The Kalevala, Runos 1-3 Audio CD.